“Let the music talk, let the rhythm play, let the world know what the youth have to say!”
Launch of 2015 Global Challenges Youth Music Contest
at Bonn Climate Conference
Bonn, 3rd of June 2015
International Association for the Advancement of Innovative Approaches to Global Challenges (IAAI), a UN accredited civil society organization based in Klagenfurt (Austria) launched today at Bonn Climate Change Conference the “2015 Global Challenges Youth Music Contest” (#GYMC) with a “Call for Music”.
Key partners of the initiative are the “United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organization UNESCO (Management of Social Transformation Programme MOST)” and United Nations Climate Change Secretariat UNFCCC (Communications and Outreach Programme).
The overall objective of the 2015 Global Challenges Youth Music Contest is to engage young people in global challenges action in the context of goals and programs of United Nations system through music, youth focused narratives and innovative media partnerships.
A particular aim of the initiative is to contribute to the success of global climate change negotiations at UNFCCC COP21 in Paris by offering a specific 2015 GYMC COP21 Award (Working title) as a specific communication channel for young people to highlight youth climate action thus creating positive momentum and an instrument for increased media coverage of the climate change negotiations in Paris.
The 2015 Global Challenges Youth Music Contest consists of 2 main parts:
- the 2015 GYMC online competition through which the winners of the 2 main global awards – the 2015 GYMC COP21 Awardand the 2015 GYMC #action2015 Award will be identified and
- the 2015 GYMC TV Show which will be held during COP21 at UNESCO Headquarters and will be globally broadcasted in cooperation with European Broadcasting Union and other media partners
In addition to these centrally organized global activities the initiative offers great potentials for youth engagement in COP21 and post2015 communication with the new option of organization of 2015GYMCx events (independently organized Global Challenges Youth Music Contest initatives on local level facilitated by 2015GYMC platform) – an avenue IAAI aims to work on also with Conference of Youth 11 organizers who aim to have COP21 related activities all around the world (see video of 2015 GYMC side event at Bonn Climate Conference http://youtu.be/SkBfLMR-ERI)
• 3rd of June 2015, Launch of 2015 GYMC at a Press Conference during Bonn Climate Conference – message to artists and media partners to get ready
• 15 July – 31. August: Uploading phase of submissions and stimulation of discussions (comments under videos)
• 1.September: Jury decision concerning the online voting finalists for the 2 global awards / best submissions that activated the most & best discussions (quantitative & qualitative comments + diversity and geographic reach consideration)
• 7.September – 15.October: Public worldwide online voting for the COP21 and Action 2015 Awards on www.global-rockstar.net
• 15.October The entries on top of the charts (with the most votes) win -> public announcement of the 2 winners (Climate Change Award and SustDev/Action2015 Award)
• 4th of December, UNESCO Headquarters in Paris, 2015 GYMC TV Show during COP21 “We Are One“ that might include also a fundraising component for setting up global and local technological annd institutional infrastructure for youth led multistakeholder action in climate action and post2015 agenda implementation
For more updates (available after 30 June 2015) please visit www.glocha.info
The video of the Launch of 2015 GYMC can be watched on UNFCCC Webcast on-demand platform: