15/15/15 UN Civil Society Partnership launched!
at Side event to 2nd Rio+20 Informal Consultations on the Zero Draft of the Outcome Document
(video documentation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md5Mp7A3yHo&feature=g-upl)
Rio+20 Issues Cluster on Innovation Presentation & Launch of 15/15/15 UN – Civil Society Partnership
Date: 23 April 2012, 6:15-7:45 PM
Venue: Conference Room 7, UN HQ New York, North Lawn Building
Organizer: International Association for the Advancement of Innovative Approaches to Global Challenges
United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development (Rio+20) www.uncsd2012.org is only a few weeks away.
People from all over the world – and especially young people – look at Rio+20 as the big political window of opportunity for the world to shift towards more international and intergenerational justice and solidarity, towards harmony with nature and equal opportunities for a decent life for all.
But can Rio+20 deliver on these high expectations? What change and what action can Rio+20 bring about?
One way to bring the high expectations and Rio+20 outcome potentials together is to focus on innovation in a very broad sense, non-technological innovation, governance innovations, values innovations, etc.
And the second approach to get real progress in Rio is to develop a global vision of shared social responsibility for sustainable development which includes everybody – every global citizen with his or her everyday consumption and lifestyle decisions.
Rio+20 will meet the big expectations if it will be a turning point in the way people from around the world build innovative planetary problem solving alliances!
Members of Rio+20 Issues Cluster on Innovation put together some thoughts and ideas on this in an Informal Rio+20 Issues brief on Innovation (http://uncsd.iisd.org/news/rio20-issues-cluster-on-innovation-produces-brief-on-innovation-for-sustainable-development/ https://docs.google.com/open?id=0Bx6Y_m1IHZsDMmdDRHhQbWZGa00) .
In terms of action oriented Rio+20 outcomes, the 15/15/15 UN – Civil Society Partnership formula is being put forward as a potential point of crystallization for a vision of innovative interaction of UN system with civil society and every global citizen:
15/15/15 UN Civil Society Resource Mobilization Partnership Formula’ states that global civil society
– on the one hand commits at Rio+20 to mobilize 15 billion Euros and 15 million volunteers by the year 2015 for UN led sustainable development efforts and
– on the other hand requests new forms of participation in global SD governance.
15/15/15 UN – Civil Society Partnership” implementation elements:
- Global Challenges centers network – Local level multistakeholder partnerships for knowledge based SD with a global vision, (innovative local element of global SD governance)
- collaborative global commons growth documentation system (safeguarding transparency, accountability of initiatives and integration of social, economic and environmental dimension of SD),
- Global Youth Music Contest (heart power generator, global community building)
- Global Forum on Innovative Resource Mobilization for Education and Science
- Global Citizenship Ethics based on Art 29 UDHR and Global Youth Music Contest, … )
- Partnering with Peace Movements and Spiritual/Faith based NGOs: Idea: “Rio+20 Prayers and Commitments for Peace and Sustainable Development”
- Global Challenges Center at UN HQ
- Campaign “15/15/15 Voluntary Commitments”
- 15/15/15 Group of Friends
- Carrying on momentum of Rio+20 Issues Cluster on Innovation
If successful, the 15/15/15 initiative has the potential to become one of the biggest non-governmental and non-commercial collaborative wealth generation effort in the history of humanity.
At the side event the “15/15/15 UN – Civil Society Partnership” will be officially launched by publicly entering it in the Rio+20 Partnerships Registry http://www.uncsd2012.org/rio20/partnershipregistry.html.
A 151515 google group will be established as a preliminary mechanism for recruiting of partnership members and group communication. The first 5 people registering for 15/15/15 partnership will receive a 15/15/15 T-shirt “Global Citizen – Committed to Contribute to The Future We Want” J
– In the first part of the side event members of Rio+20 Issues Cluster on Innovation will present the Informal Issues brief on Innovation and their specific views on innovation for sustainable development
– In the second part of the event the “15/15/15 UN – Civil Society Partnership” as well as some implementation plans (like e.g. the Global Challenges centers network, the collaborative global commons growth documentation system, Global Citizenship Ethics based on Art 29 UDHR and Global Youth Music Contest, … ) will be presented and discussed
– Towards the end of the event “15/15/15 UN – Civil Society Partnership” will be officially launched by publicly entering it in the Rio+20 Partnerships Registry
Everybody kindly invited to join us!